Sunday, February 8, 2009

KnoxieCross #3 & #4

So it's early February and I just got sunburned. Weird weather stuff, going on here. That, or I'm so pasty white that the mere thought of the sun turns my skin a healthy lobstery red.

This past weekend in Knoxville was great. The weather was warm (normally I prefer cold and miserable for 'Cross, but this was a nice respite), and the course was mostly dry. Grassy, hilly, a little bumpy in places. We ran the same course both days (clockwise Saturday, counter-clockwise Sunday), with little modification. We ran 5 laps in the 4's, with a field size of about 22-25 both days.

The race was held at Melton Hill Park in Oak Ridge http://www.ci.oak-ridge.tn.us/ . A great, hilly little course right on the river. The course designer really did a good job working the terrain. We started Saturday's race with a grassy uphill grind to a relatively flat grassy straight. Then we dropped into a couple twisty climbs and descents, which felt really good and fast the first lap, but really started to burn by lap 3. One really steep drop and a muddy/sandy turn later, we were treated to a really nice uphill chicane/wide hairpin. I definitely could have pedaled up, but with a single 42t ring and the sharp turns, it seemed prudent to hoof it. Pavement descent, grassy climb, muddy descent, pavement climb, to a good long stretch of flat asphalt. Then we swung onto the grass again, through a set of barriers, to a twisty, long grassy uphill/downhill stretch. There was really no good opportunity for recovery, which tends to work well for me, and did today as well. Even the downhills were short enough or bumpy enough that you could never really rest.

I got a great start, and settled into 4th or 5th right from the gun. Of course, I immediately dropped to about 9th, and settled into a sustainable rhythm. I picked off a couple folks, and caught on to two guys I thought I could hang with. We stayed pretty close together for probably four-and-a-half laps, sitting 5/6/7 before I rode up along the sixth-place guy and said "Come on, let's go!". I took a pull for about ten seconds, then he rode up alongside and said "Let's go get this guy!". He took a pull for about 2 seconds before I realized I had just given it all I had. Man, what a bummer. I watched that guy pour it on and catch 5th place by himself, while I relegated myself to no-man's land in 7th. Oh, well. I gave it all and I can't ask for anything more. In all, I rode a great race, felt darned good, ate right, dressed right, rocked the skinsuit like a pro (or "priz-zo" as we say in the 'hood) and had my best finish all season at 7th of 25. Top third. Secondary goal of the season, check!

We treated ourselves to post-race pizza at Big Ed's (an Oak Ridge institution - cash or check ONLY!) and a few beers. I totally pigged out on the pizza, and pretty much felt overly full for the rest of the night, even into the early morning hours, which of course meant I slept poorly. Smooth move, Ex-Lax...

Sunday we ran the course in reverse, with a little modification to the run-up. Still a great course. I got a decent start, but never really felt as strong as I felt Saturday. Probably the pizza... Technically I rode a great race, but I overdressed, and was sweating bullets by the first half-lap. In all though, mission accomplished - I finished in the top third, against stiffer competition than usual. Next up, Knoxiecross #6, the final race of the season. I would love to hit my tertiary goal of the season - USAC points!

No comments: