Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Catching up...

So, another intermittent post. I was way too busy this season, and keeping up with the blog just didn't happen. Just a couple of final notes on the season, which ended too soon and not by my own hand.

I catted up mid-season, which was good. I figure if I'm going to get my ass handed to me, it's better to go ahead and do it now so I can properly prepare for next season. It's really different in the 3's. I don't feel like they're that much faster, really. It's just a better level of fitness. My body apparently knows when 30 minutes is up and it really doesn't like to go for much longer. So I know I need to work on endurance issues. I totally expected it, and was mentally prepared for a good drubbing for the rest of the season.

I definitely cemented the fact that I'm better suited for muddy, slow, twisty courses; and I continue to get pummeled on faster, grass-crit-type courses. So I need to work on my top-end stuff more. I have a plan in place, so I'm looking forward to next season.

I accomplished all my season goals: finish top three in my first race of the season, top half in Toronto, and top third at the USGP. And my fourth goal - cat up and do the absolute best I could, which I did, even if it meant getting lapped. A lot.

All in all, it was a good season. I built my own frames, raced them, showed them off, sold a few, and generally learned a lot. My training really suffered, but I just need to compartmentalize my training and make the most of my time. I need to run more, and maybe race a few times in the "off-season" (spring and summer...), then maybe a few late-summer crits. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything. Well, except for the fact that the season ended abruptly and prematurely for a lot of us in Tennessee. Our big snow happened the night before the State Championship race in East Tennessee, and there was just no way I was driving up there in those conditions. When snow like that happens up North, it's just snow. When it happens in the South, it's crippling. I mean, what do you do when the local utilities and authorities run out of salt? I'll tell you - you sit inside and watch cyclocross videos on the trainer, and kinda' cry a little inside.

I've started in on a new road frame for a local guy, and I've begun laying out my CX frame for next year. It will be a lugged frame with matching stem, probably light green with black or red accents. I've got stainless lugs for both the frame and stem, but the more I think about it, the less I want polished lugs on a 'cross bike. I have time to figure it out, though. More in the summer, maybe sooner. Either way, we'll see you next season.


No comments: